Easter Baked Fresh Ham With Herbs
- 1 14 to 16 lb. fresh, unsalted, uncured ham
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon crumbled leaf sage
- l/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. It is preferable to have the butcher remove the small blade bone--not necessary, however.
- Cut garlic into 18 to 20 slivers. With the tip of knife, make small incisions all over the ham and insert garlic. Using sharp knife, score the fat side of ham deeply. Place the bay leaf, sage, and thyme on a flat surface and chop with a heavy knife. Chop as finely as possible. Sprinkle the ham all over with the herb mixture, salt and pepper to taste. Rub the seasonings into the ham all over. Use a generous but reasonable amount of salt.
- Place the ham fat side up in a large baking dish about 12" x 18" x 2 l/2". Place the ham in the oven and bake, basting occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours.
- Reduce the over heat to 350 degrees F and cover the ham with aluminum foil. Continue baking about 2 1/2 hours or untilo ham is thoroughly cooked. When cooked, should have internal temperature of at least 170.
- When ham is cooked, remove from pan. Tilt pan and skim fat from gravy. A judicious amount of water may be added to pan juices and brought to the boil for the sauce.
SAUCE FOR FRESH HAM
- 2 anchovies--smash it very fine.
- Very little onion and garlic smash.
- Take 1 egg and mayonnaise and beat with one hard boiled egg mashed very fine.
- 1 teaspoon capers and mix all together.