Koolish Russian Easter Cake
(Gateau De Paques Russe)
- 5 pounds of flour
- 3 packs yeast
- 1 1/2 pound butter
- 1 stick vanilla bean
- 1 pound white raisins
- 2 pounds sugar (granulated very fine)
- 18 eggs (use 18 yokes and 9 whites)
- Mix yeast in 1 1/2 glass of luke warm water. Add enough flour to give it the consistency of pancake mixture.
- Let is rise (it takes approximately one hour) The dough must double in size. During that time: Mix the egg yokes and the sugar together. Try to get the finest sugar there is because you must mix until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Chop the vanilla stick as fine as possible (try not to use liquid)
- Liquefy the butter (Do Not Cook).
- When the dough is ready, add the egg yokes and sugar. Then add the rest of the flour little by little. Also add the liquefied butter and the vanilla chopped very fine.
- Towards the end of this operation, you may add 1/2 of the egg whites (which have been whipped previously). THIS OPERATION TAKES APPROXIMATELY 2 HOURS TO COMPLETE.
- When dough is ready, put it in a warm place and let stand for approximately 3 hours Or until the dough has doubled its size--sometimes it takes longer.
- During that time, prepare your baking pans and grease them (it is the tradition in Russia for the cake to have a cylindrical shape--use a large can of pineapple juice for instance). Cut out a piece of wax paper for the bottom and another for the sides which you also grease.
- When the dough is ready after approximately 3 hours, add the raisins. (This operation will make the dough deflate--do not be alarmed.)
- Now you may put the dough inside the baking pans where it will cook approximately 3/4 to 1 hour--do not overcook--it will become too dry.
- Fill the baking pans only halfway because the dough will rise and double its size. Oven Temperature: 350 degrees
TIPS: To check if cake is cooked, it is suggested that you test it first with a toothpick--if it comes out dry, the cake is cooked. If it comes out wet or with crumbs sticking to it, the cake is not quite ready.