Fresh basil has so many uses, but one of my favorites is this dressing. We start by making a puree of basil, which we blend with extra virgin olive oil. Purees add some shelf life to fresh herbs as the oil aids in the preserving of the herb. This dressing can be used to dress a salad, tossed with pasta, or used as a condiment to grilled meats.
- 1 pound basil (leaves picked and stems discarded)
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional: Parmesan Cheese again to taste
- In a food processor or blender, add basil, EVO, and lemon juice.
- Pulse until you have a nice smooth paste, season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for a later time.